Sunday, January 8, 2012

Movie Review: The Perfect Host

The word "disappointing" is rarely, if ever, associated with a project starring David Hyde Pierce.  This movie, however, can definitely be deemed as disappointing.  I had my doubts about it going in, but Pierce is such a strong actor that I decided to give it a try when I saw that it was on Netflix.  While it is certainly not the best movie I have ever seen, it is also not the worst.

As mentioned above, I watched the movie because of David Hyde Pierce.  I was not disappointed by his acting so much as I was by the movie as a whole.  Pierce plays his role extremely well and is by far the best actor in the cast.  The movie, a supposed thriller about a bank robber who invades a single man's (Pierce) home to hide out, but finds out his host is not as weak or normal as he seems to be.  The apparently perfect host turns out to be a schizophrenic murderer whose dinner guests are figures of his imagination and he demands that the bank robber partake in his fantasies.  After some twists of fate, the robber gains his freedom, only to discover that this insane killer's day job is a police detective who now hunts him down for his crime.

The entire story was simply weak and predictable.  There were no fantastic effects or camerawork, nor was there any great dialogue.  There was one scene where the robber is hallucinating after Pierce drugs him and sees a choreographed dancing number performed by Pierce and four of his "guests," but that was the extent of entertainment I had watching this movie.  I will not say that watching it was a total waste of my time, but I certainly could have found a better movie to watch. 

I would probably watch this movie again, but not because I think it was interesting.  It's just, well, average.  2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment