Sunday, November 13, 2011

We are Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

Ever since I was little, I wanted to be a teacher.  Once I graduated high school, I knew that I wanted to be a history teacher.  Upon graduation from college, I was called to serve at a Lutheran school as a 7th Grade teacher... and the middle school Science teacher.  God sure does have a sense of humor.  There is an old saying that states: "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."  Even though it sometimes seems like God is having fun with our lives, in reality He is pushing us in a direction that is better for us than we could have planned for ourselves. 

Take for instance my teaching of Science: because it is a subject that I am not entirely familiar with, I am learning along with the students (Actually I am learning one step ahead of the students in order that I can prepare my lessons).  Up until holding this teaching position, I had always accepted that human beings were wondrous creations made by God in His image.  Most Christians will probably agree with this, but what I have discovered in my current studies of the human body (8th Grade Science) is that many of us really do not realize how amazing and complex our body is!  Everything has to work in such a precise way in order for us to live.  Everything inside of us relies on each other to complete the processes that keep us alive, and they do so in ways we hardly ever consider.

For example, when blood leaves your cells and has traveled through your capillaries (which are only one cell thick, by the way), it enters your veins.  When blood is in your veins, it does not have the force from the heart's pumping to make it back to the heart.  How then does blood get back to the heart?  God made our bodies in such a way that other bodily movements and functions would help return blood to the heart.  Veins are located next to skeletal muscles (the muscles that move your bones) and when those muscles are contracted, they help push blood back to the heart.  Veins also contain valves, which close as blood flows through the veins to keep the blood from flowing backwards.  In addition, breathing movements create pressure against the veins in your chest and help blood flow back into the heart.

Astounding, is it not?  Evolutionists theorize that everything came from a common ancestor, that the entire world, humans included, are nothing but a happenstance.  In other words, we are an accident.  Many things throughout history have been made or discovered by accident (penicillin for example), but I refuse to believe that humans are one of those things.  The more I learn about the complexity of the human body, the more astounded I am and the more I am certain that we are a product of an intelligent creator.  This may be hard for some people to believe, but how is it harder than believing that we are the result of an accident.  I personally find more comfort in the fact that there is a plan and a reason behind the way we are made than in the belief that I am just another wrung in the evolutionary ladder.  The human body is too amazing and too unique to be an accident.  We truthfully are fearfully and wonderfully made.

2 comments:

  1. It really gets amazing when you start studying DNA. It is truly amazing what would happen if even one part of that encoding was written incorrectly. If this was simply random happenstance, there would be a lot fewer of us who are fully functional. His greatness and awe-inspiring intelligence is shown very clear in our very genetics...right inside that double helix

    ReplyDelete
  2. we stated a new topic in Bible study today at church. It took us the entire hour to talk about/through Gen. 1:1-2.

    ReplyDelete